Thursday, July 19, 2012

Twittering

Week 2 of Digifoot12 was devoted to Twitter. As I said in my first post, I didn't really "get" Twitter. I had signed up for an account, though I really didn't see the point in posting my activities as I went through my day or following other people's activities. "Going to the store to buy mulch. Must mulch the bushes." "Back from the store with mulch." "Bushes look good." Who has time to post or read this sort of thing? So I hadn't been using Twitter for anything. My avatar was still an egg and I didn't even realize it.

The Digifoot12 Blackboard presentation on Twitter was excellent and opened my eyes to the possibilities. Thank you, Kim Gill! I could hardly wait to start the activities. Right after the session I began working on my profile and finding people to follow. I linked my Twitter account to Facebook and tried some searches.

The next morning my newly hatched profile had attracted several new followers, one of whom owned the website mynakedvids.com. Why me? But I used my new skills to block my unwanted follower. When I retweeted a post on project based learning that I liked, a teacher friend saw it on Facebook and commented there. I wasn't sure that the Twitter-Facebook connection was going to be useful since my Facebook is primarily social and musical connections, and I am designing my Twitter account to be mainly professional teacher connections, but this very first post showed it may be a good thing.

I still have more to explore in Twitter, including making lists, chatting, and participating in FollowFriday. What I'm seeing as reasons to tweet are connecting with people who are engaged in similar work and being able to learn from them, primarily from the links they post and through the chats. I'm a little worried about how much time I will be able to spend on this once school starts, but I think it will probably be a good idea to set a goal of spending 5 or 10 focused minutes a day exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment